Social Icons

Cool Social Media Sharing Touch Me Widget by Blogger Widgets

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Amazon Prime Rates going up to $99/yr

I have been a prime member for less than a year now, and I was a little shocked about the price going up so dramatically.  So lets break it down and see what you get for all that loot.
  • Stream the latest Movies for additional rental cost
  • Buy movies to add to your digital collection
  • Stream TV shows and Movies for free *selection will vary
  • Watch the latest episode of shows for cost per episode
  • "Free" two day shipping (more to come on this)
  • Share Prime benefits with up to four additional people that live in home
  • Borrow books from other Kindle Prime members
For the most part this is a pretty good damn deal, but unfortunately for myself and family my first efforts are to try and find the bad side to a good situation.

Here is one thing I don't like about the Free 2-day shipping.  You can find a really good deal sometimes, I personally abused the free shipping for graphic tees, I was trying to get some new shirts because friends told me that White under shirts were not a one shirt for every event kind of thing, here is an example of an awesome deal.
I am wearing this shirt right now as I blog!
HIDE/SHOW

Basically $8 dollar shirt sent to my house on Amazon.  Other times you will find that the Prime product is $5-15 dollars more than any other sellers item one the site, so its like the shipping is built into the price of the product.  But I have had more positive scenarios with prime than negative, but I really looked for a deal as well.

(There is actually a Lawsuit about to come through about the pricing practices involving the free 2-day shipping, you can read about it here. Reports have also surfaced that Amazon is using SurePost for delivery service where FedEx or UPS would hand the shipment over to the USPS, where 2-Day deliveries are not guaranteed.)

Free TV shows, this might sound a little conspiracy theorist but, I have had TV series that I started watching that were free, suddenly start charging in the middle of the season I am watching.  This Phenomenon has happened to my Wife as well.  The explanation from Amazon Prime is that shows are frequently rotated this way...Well I am sorry, I will not be paying $1.99 for each episode of "Murder She Wrote".

Buy "Home Alone" in HD? $12.99?!! Really someone should be fired.
We have not used the Lending Library on our 2nd Gen E-ink Kindle yet, so not much to say about that.

Sharing benefits is kind of cool but pointless, you can do it for up to four family members or if you purchase it for a small business you can share with co workers.  If you live with the people you could extend the benefits to them with or without the service, I could see how this would be handy if you had adult children, or whatever with multiple Amazon Accounts.

Prime Products are full filled by Amazon, so this makes it easier for the return process etc.  Well for $10 Bucks a month it is still a pretty good deal, I do not believe anyone that says Amazon is losing money on this deal though as it stands.  In the end Amazon Prime, bundled with our Netflix is still way cheaper than a cable contract, my family will probably be staying Prime members for the $99/yr change.





No comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
Blogger Templates